For weeks, Marvel Comics has been teasing new storylines and titles for their ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! initiative, beginning this December 2013. Throughout this weekend’s New York Comic Con panels, we got a ton of answers! 17 all-new ongoing series in all now comprise ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! Here’s a quick run-down of what the spring is bringing to the House of Idea’s second relaunch wave:
- SHE-HULK by Charles Soule (Superman/Wonder Woman, Thunderbolts) and Javier Pulido (Hawkeye), exploring the fact that Jennifer Walters always wants to be exceptional at everything she does, but that’s not always possible.
- ALL NEW X-FACTOR by Peter David (X-Factor, Incredible Hulk) and Carmine di Giandomenico (Spider-Man: Noir, Punisher: War Zone), featuring Polaris, Quicksilver, Gambit, and three other new, unexpected members in a corporately-funded team;
- LOKI, AGENT OF ASGARD by Al Ewing (Avengers Assemble) and Lee Garbett (Batgirl), a new series that begins with the death of Thor and only spreads more and more lies from there;
- BLACK WIDOW, a new ongoing series by Nathan Edmondson (Grifter) and Phil Noto (Thunderbolts, X-23);
- AVENGERS WORLD by Jonathan Hickman (Fantastic Four, Avengers), Nick Spencer (Secret Avengers), and Stefano Caselli (Avengers Assemble), expanding upon the franchise at Marvel with a new ongoing series that features the same cast as Avengers, but explodes the concept of Earth being under the Avengers protection even more;
- AVENGERS UNDERCOVER by Dennis Hopeless (Cable and X-Force) and Kev Walker (Thunderbolts), as surviving cast members from Avengers Arena descend into darkness in order to take down the Masters of Evil.
- SECRET AVENGERS by Ales Kot (Suicide Squad) and Michael Walsh (Comeback) will relaunch with a brand new #1 for All New Marvel NOW!, featuring Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury Jr. Phil Coulson, and a very secret member.
- SILVER SURFER by Dan Slott (Superior Spider-Man) and Mike Allred (FF), who is joined by a new love interest, an Earth girl;
- GHOST RIDER by Felipe Smith (Transformers), and Tradd Moore (Strange Talent of Luther Strode), an all-new take on the classic character;
- IRON PATRIOT by Ales Kot (Zero, Suicide Squad) and Garry Brown (The Massive), featuring James Rhodes protecting the home front and becoming his own man, away from Iron Man;
- ALL-NEW INVADERS by James Robinson (Earth 2) and Steve Pugh (Animal Man), featuring the classic team of Captain America, Namor, Human Torch, and Winter Soldier in the modern day;
- INHUMAN by Matt Fraction (FF, Hawkeye) and Joe Madureira (Amazing Spider-Man), evolving out of Infinity, as the Inhumans take center stage in the Marvel Universe.
- NEW WARRIORS return in an all new ongoing series by Chris Yost (Scarlet Spider, X-Force) and Marcus To (Batwing), and stars Speedball, Nova, Scarlet Spider, Justice, Sun Girl, and more super-heroes from all different backgrounds that are being targeted for execution by the High Evolutionary;
- CAPTAIN MARVEL relaunches in March, with a new #1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick (Avengers Assemble, Ghost), and David Lopez (X-Men), with a greater emphasis on cosmic adventure in space;
- ELEKTRA, a new ongoing launching in March by Zeb Wells (Nova, Amazing Spider-Man) and Mike Del Mundo (X-Men Legacy), starring the infamous, globetrotting assassin;
- PUNISHER by Nathan Edmondson (The Activity) and Mitch Gerads (The Activity) launches in February and takes Frank out to the West Coast to hunt down the bad guys, but, in turn, be hunted as well.
- MIRACLEMAN will launch in January with a reprinting of all Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman issues, published with now-defunct Eclipse Comics — using as much original art as possible in the process — followed by ten all-new issues to finish the story.
Additional storylines that will support the ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW branding will be occurring in the following titles, each sporting an enlarged #1 on the cover, as well as continuing numbering:
- THUNDERBOLTS by Charles Soule (She-Hulk, Superman/Wonder Woman) and Carlo Barberi (Deadpool), will be adding Ghost Rider to the mix of this team of sinners with a #1/#20.NOW issue;
- SAVAGE WOLVERINE by Richard Isanove (The Dark Tower, Ultimate X-Men), as we encounter Logan in the 1930′s beginning in issue #14.NOW;
- “The Trial of Jean Grey”, a six-part crossover event between GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY by Brian Michael Bendis (Uncanny X-Men, New Avengers) and Sara Pichelli (Ultimate Spider-Man) and ALL NEW X-MEN by Bendis and Stuart Immonen (Ultimate Spider-Man), as the universe comes after young Jean Grey in the wake of the Phoenix’s return in AvX. The storyline begins in January with All-New X-Men #22.NOW and Guardians of the Galaxy #11.NOW.
- CAPTAIN AMERICA, by Rick Remender (Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force), Pascal Alixe (Ka-Zar) and Nic Klein (Thor God of Thunder), faces off against enemies old like Red Skull, and new like Dr. Mindbubble, alongside his new protege Jet Black. The action starts up in February’s Captain America #14.NOW;
- AVENGERS AI by Sam Humphries (Ultimate Comics Ultimates) and Andre Araujo (X-Treme X-Men) will feature a new storyline beginning in Avengers AI #8.NOW, guest-starring the Uncanny Avengers and taking the team 10,000 years into the future;
- “Goblin Nation,” a new storyarc beginning in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #27.NOW by Dan Slott (Amazing Spider-Man) and Guiseppe Camuncoli (Daken), pitting an Otto Octavius-minded Peter Parker against his (other) greatest enemy, a brand new Green Goblin;
- AVENGERS by Jonathan Hickman (Infinity) and Esad Ribic (Thor God of Thunder) begins a new storyline in December’s Avengers #24.NOW, entitled “Rogue Planet.” As a rogue planet hurtles towards Earth, only the mightier-than-ever Avengers can prevent the annihilation of two worlds!
Rumor has it we are expecting a brand new relaunch for FANTASTIC FOUR as well, so stay tuned to Comicosity for more news as it arrives. For the full complement of New York Comic Con news, please visit our central source for all things comics coming out of the Big Apple last week!
Image courtesy Marvel Comics.