Created for all lovers of mythology, WANDERLUST, A Mythology Anthology is an all-new anthology of original comics, illustrations and short stories that reimagine and retell mythological stories — available to pledge now on Kickstarter!
WANDERLUST is a fresh, new take on mythological inspired fiction, and sets out to give a platform to a diverse range of creative voices. WANDERLUST is proud to celebrate ethnic diversity and queerness in both the contents of the book and in the selection of talented writers and artists.
The moderators of WANDERLUST, writer Mariah Jarvis and artist Zoe Au, have collaborated to bring this 200+ page, full color anthology to life. The cover art for WANDERLUST was created by our very own Rio Burton (The Thing Artbook). WANDERLUST is very proud to be debuting many talented creators amongst the 40+ featured contributors. Works are also featured from established creators:
- Daniela Viçoso (O Infante)
- Grace Park (Vertoscope Anthology, Dates Anthology)
- Juliette GMM Lopez (Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology, La Raza Anthology)
- Luz Bianca (Girls/Girls/Girls Zine)
- Shannon Kao (Lilies Anthology, Built on Strange Ground Anthology)
- Alix Ayoub (Botticelli Magazine, (614) Magazine)
- Laurel Varian (Love In All Forms Anthology, The Other Side Anthology)
- Petra Popescu (Hedgehog Latte and the Magic Waterstone, Käpt’n Sharky)
- Jay Ross (City of Light Zine)
- Lauren Degraaf (Ladies of Literature Vol 2)
- Drew Shields (3 AM Anthology)
The works within WANDERLUST range in style and subject matter, but all works relate in some way to the theme “Quests and Journeys”. Creators were given creative freedom to reinterpret any mythological story, and were encouraged to be as inventive as possible. WANDERLUST was created for the lover of mythology who wishes to broaden their horizons and delve into unique stories that differ from common Greco-Roman myths that are often shown in popular Western media.
In their works, the creators answer questions like: What happens when a mythological being falls in love with a human? What if such magical beings walk among us in our contemporary world? Would ancient gods and goddesses use cellphones or ride motorcycles? Would they play Dungeons and Dragons? Our creators answer these questions with unique tales of meandering adventures, aimless wanderers, journeys to self discovery, and more.
The vision for WANDERLUST was to create a book that celebrates stories from different cultures and geographic regions. To the moderators’ delight, artists and writers were inspired by the vision, and have created works from the following regions and traditions:
- Western European
The Kickstarter campaign for WANDERLUST launched on November 21st and will aim to print 500 copies of the anthology of reimagined mythology over the course of 30 days.