Welcome to Comicosity’s Hot Five. Hot Five is a short list of the top books we think you’ll want to be checking out. Be they new title launches, key issues or just continuing stories from some of the industry’s most acclaimed books, this list is your guaranteed gold in the comic market!
Written by Mark Waid
Art by Chris Samnee
Published by Marvel Comics – $3.99
• The final chapter in the Autobiography of Matt Murdock is written by someone who may surprise you.
• Not everyone survives this phase in Daredevil’s life.
• Find out who lives, who dies…and who is changed forever.
Why It’s Hot: This is it. Mark Waid and Chris Samnee wrap up one of the best superhero runs of the past five years. These are two of the best creators on their own that came together to form one of the best creative teams in the industry. This is truly the end of an era, and the last several years have been any indication of what we can expect then readers are in for one awesome treat.
DEADPOOL VS. THANOS #1
Written by Tim Seeley
Art by Elmo Bondac
Published by Marvel Comics – $3.99
• We all know Thanos-the man who single-handedly made bejeweled gloves into THE deadly weapon of choice for mass murder. But did you know he shares an ex with Deadpool? No, not Vanessa-I refer to the cosmic “lady” known as DEATH.
• And when everyone in the universe stops dying, both of her former beaus take an interest. Can the pair overcome one’s overwhelming hatred of and annoyance by the other? Or will Thanos finally let Deadpool die once and for all?
Why It’s Hot: Deadpool and Thanos are two of Marvel’s most popular characters are coming to blows over a… girl!? Not only are these characters beamoths of the comic page, but they have huge crossover appeal. One is the wise cracking star of an upcoming blockbuster film that shares his name. The other is the big bad villain in one of the most successful film franchises of all time. Under the watchful eye of Tim Seeley this has the potential to be one of the biggest comics of the month, and an eventual best selling TPB for years to come.
Written by Steve Orlando
Art by Alec Morgan
Published by DC Comics – $2.99
Grayson and Midnighter-reunited at last! Granted, it wasn’t Grayson’s idea, and yes, technically Midnighter might have kidnapped him. And, uh, brought him to Moscow to fight a herd of feral vampires. Maybe this reunion is getting off on the wrong foot…
Why It’s Hot: What Steve Orlando and his art partners in crime have done with Midnighter is nothing short of phenomenal. You have diversity with a gay lead character in his own solo series, a previously B-list character on their way to the A-list, and a great comic that isn’t quite like anything else in the marketplace. That is what DC You is all about, and this series might be the initiative’s quintessential series. This issue sees the return of Grayson to Midnighter’s orbit. Lucas + Dick = an issue that should please quite a few people in a number of ways.
MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1
Written by Neil Gaiman
Art by Mark Buckingham
Published by Marvel Comics – $4.99
• Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham’s Age of Miracles begins!
• Two years have passed since the decimation of London. Miracleman presides over mankind’s Golden Age from atop Olympus. Pilgrims climb its miles-high peak to petition their new god. Each carries hopes that are pure. The motives they conceal, however…
• Miracleman explores Infraspace in the opening chapter of “Retrieval,” but just what, or who, is he looking for?
• Including material originally presented in MIRACLEMAN (1985) #17, plus bonus content.
Why It’s Hot: Well this exciting on several different levels. Not only is this a superstar creative team of Neil Gaiman, and Mark Buckingham earlier in their careers, but it’s the beginning of their unfinished epic. The moment that Miracleman fans have been waiting for is almost here. The Age of Miracles begins (again), and the march towards the first brand new Miracleman issue intensifies.
Written by Jeff Lemire
Art by Emi Lenox
Published by Image Comics – $2.99
A brand-new heartfelt super-hero series by JEFF LEMIRE (DESCENDER, Hawkeye) and amazing newcomer EMI LENOX!
Why It’s Hot: There’s a good chance that Plutona will be your new favorite comic, and Emi Lenox will quickly become one of your favorite artists. You don’t want to miss out on a book like this.
OTHER ISSUES OF NOTE: Bat-Mite #4, Jupiter’s Circle #6, Mockingbird: SHIELD 50th Anniversary #1, Omega Men #4, Toil and Trouble #1