Welcome to Comicosity’s Hot Five. Hot Five is a short list of the top books we think you’ll want to be checking out. Be they new title launches, key issues or just continuing stories from some of the industry’s most acclaimed books, this list is your guaranteed gold in the comic market.
THE ARCHIES #1
Written by Alex Segura & Matthew Rosenberg
Art by Joe Eisma
Published by Archie Comics – $3.99
What’s next for the teenage rockers The Archies? When someone makes a decision that leaves the rest of the band scrambling, can the group keep it together? It’s friendship vs. fame in this must-read #1 issue to the new, ongoing The Archies series!
Why It’s Hot: We know Archie has been producing great comics for the past few years, and each new lauch seems to be better than the last. Now we get a look at life of the band behind such classics like “Sugar, Sugar.” In all seriousness though, Segura, Rosenberg, and Eisma should be enough to get any comic book reader excited for this series.
Written by Tom King
Art by Mikel Janin
Published by DC Comics – $2.99
“THE WAR OF JOKES AND RIDDLES” finale! This is the finale everyone will be talking about for years to come! In BATMAN #24, we gave you the question; in BATMAN #32, you get the answer. As the Riddler and The Joker desperately fight for supremacy in Gotham City, Batman reveals how far he had to go to end the war. Now, knowing Batman’s greatest sin, Catwoman must make her decision: Will she marry Batman?
Why It’s Hot: The War Of Jokes And Riddles comes to a conclusion, as Batman, The Joker, and The Riddler come face to face to face. What is Batman’s secret? Will The Joker ever laugh again? Will Selina accept Bruce’s proposal? Will Batman ever be the same again!?
BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT #1
Written by Sean G. Murphy
Art by Sean G. Murphy
Published by DC Comics – $3.99
In a world where Batman has gone too far, The Joker must save Gotham City.
He’s been called a maniac, a killer and the “Clown Prince of Crime” but “white knight”? Never. Until now…
Set in a world where the Joker is cured of his insanity and homicidal tendencies, The Joker, now known as “Jack,” sets about trying to right his wrongs. First he plans to reconcile with Harley Quinn, and then he’ll try to save the city from the one person who he thinks is truly Gotham City’s greatest villain: Batman!
Superstar writer and artist Sean Murphy (PUNK ROCK JESUS, THE WAKE) presents a seven-issue miniseries of a twisted Gotham City with a massive cast of heroes and villains that, at its heart, is a tragic story of a hero and a villain: Batman and The Joker. But which is the hero-and which the villain?
Why It’s Hot: Sean Murphy has become a bonafide superstar over the past several years, and now we get even more of his take on Batman. This may be an out of continuity “Elseworlds” type story, but it presents a game changing look at the Batman/Joker dynamic. This one is going to be good.
GREEN ARROW #32
Written by Benjamin Percy & Joshua Williamson
Art by Juan Ferreyra
Published by DC Comics – $2.99
DARK NIGHTS: METAL tie-in! “GOTHAM RESISTANCE” finale! The Gotham Resistance has fought its way through lands of fire, poison, destruction and fear, but no one was ready for the craziest showdown of all: Green Arrow and Black Canary, whose eternal lovers’ quarrel goes medieval as the team marches into the hellish, mind-bending world of The Man Who Laughs to uncover the secret to defeating the hordes of the Dark Multiverse!
Why It’s Hot: Gotham Resistance has been one of the best event tie-ins in recent memory, and this it reaches its conclusion this week! After last week’s terrific issue of Suicide Squad it’s up to Percy, Williamson, Ferreyra like, and company to bring the story on home. I just hope this isn’t the last we see of this ragtag group that captured our hearts over the past month.
JESSICA JONES #13
Written by Brian Bendis
Art by Michael Gaydos
Published by Marvel Comics – $3.99
RETURN OF THE PURPLE MAN Part 1
Jessica Jones is many things: Private Investigator. Defender. Survivor. Mother. When the Purple Man returns, Jessica Jones finds herself reliving her worst nightmare. But the only thing worse than being stalked by the evil incarnate that is the Purple Man…is being stalked by the evil incarnate that is the Purple Man when you have a small child! PLUS: Includes 3 bonus MARVEL PRIMER PAGES! Story by Robbie Thompson and art by Mark Bagley!
Why It’s Hot: Kilgrave is back, and that usually means Jessica Jones will never be the same again! Marvel Legacy has promised us big stories, and for Jessica it doesn’t come much bigger, or more personal, than the Purple Man.
ALSO AVAILABLE THIS WEEK:
- All Star Batman #14: The final issue of the series is upon us. Is this the end of Scott Snyder’s monthly adventures with The Dark Knight? This could very well mark the end of an era!
- Dastardly & Muttley #2: After a surprising first issue who knows what kind of WACKY adventures Garth Ennis will put the title characters through next.
- Eugenic #1: Tynion and Donovan are back with a new miniseries! These creators are like PB&J. You know, just better together.
- Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica #1: The DC Universe meets the Archie Universe, as four come comic’s most popular female characters meet for the first time!
- Iron Fist #73: Marvel Legacy finds Danny Rand coming face to face with his old foe Victor Creed. It’s Iron Fist versus Sabretooth round two!
- Motor Crush #7: The second arc of the popular Image series continues, and Domino’s life has been turned upside down.
- Punisher The Platoon #1: Garth Ennis and Goran Parlov are back together and ready to unleash another Punisher tale on the world. Punisher MAX is back for a new miniseries event!
- Spirits Of Vengeance #1: Marvel Legacy brings some street level magic back to the universe in this five issue miniseries event!
- The Tick #1: The Tick returned to TV this past Summer, so it’s only makes sense that the character returns to comics as well. Did I mention Cullen Bunn is penning the new series?
- X-Men Gold #13: The first crossover between X-Men Gold and X-Men Blue kicks off the X side of Marvel Legacy, as Mojo Worldwide begins!